The Boatswain is the most senior in rank among the under-officers assigned to the Marine Service (Helmsmen), and the most experienced. He is the expert of the traditional knowledge of seafaring art, acquired after a long activity on the ship and the sea.
These are his tasks:
- he is responsible for the seafaring activities and maneuvers: wheelhouse service (conduct of the ship during navigation), mooring and unmooring of the ship and all the boats and vessels involved in it, maneuvering the sails, trim and maintenance of the mast and sailing equipment;
- he is responsible for maintaining the efficiency of the seafaring equipment, including anchors and chains, and the main deck, tidying up and external layout of the ship;
- is the helper on board (takes care of the discipline and form of the crew).
Under the direct control of the Nostromo are his Suborder and the Helmsmans.
The Suborder of the Boatswain
assists him in carrying out seafaring maneuvers and managing equipment.
The Chief Engineer
is responsible for propulsion, power generation, fire, and leakage safety and all the arrangements and technical systems of the ship. More specifically, his duties are:
- organization of all work on running, maintaining, and repairing machines.
- organization of the technical guard service.
- organization of on-board fire / leakage services, the management of spare parts and the supply of fuels and lavender water (fresh water).
- is responsible for the proper functioning of all electrical, mechanical, and plumbing systems on board.
In carrying out his functions, he avails himself of the collaboration of the Head of the Engines and the Chief Electrician.
The Head of the Engines
is responsible for conducting the propulsion system and diesel engines for generating electricity, managing and maintaining the mechanical, hydraulic and passive safety (fire and anti-leak) systems. He is assisted in his work by the Motorist.
The Chief Electrician
is responsible for the distribution of energy. He takes care of the maintenance of the on-board electrical systems and equipment. He is assisted in his work by the Electrician.
The Head Nurse
guarantees health care in case of need.
is responsible for managing the money assigned to the ship and handling all administrative / accounting practices relating to the personnel on board. In addition, he takes care of the keeping of accounting records and carries out administrative procedures for the acquisition of goods and services.
The Route Secretary
supports the Navigator in carrying out his duties by updating the nautical charts and publications and taking care of the layout of the bridge during navigation.